Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sewing For Children - owl pillow pattern and tutorial


One of the greatest compliments I ever recieved was from my little P. P and her friend were running wild through the house playing their games and as they passed by the door to the "office" (my sewing room) her friend stopped and asked "what is your mom doing?" (I was sitting at my sewing machine working on a quilt). P replied "Oh, she's making things. My mom's REALLY good at making things." Then the two of them ran off to contiune their play, while I was left with a very sweet moment to ponder and cherish. What more could I ask as a mother? My daughter is proud to tell her little friend about what I do.

I really enjoy making things for my children. It is so much nicer than buying toys at the store. Where is the love in that? I feel like my children appreicate what I make them as well. They watch anxiously as the little stuffed animals, quilts and clothing I have promised to them come together. I think that, even at their young age, they do notice the TIME I spent on their gift, and to a child TIME equals LOVE.

I am not a perfect mother. My children are three handfuls, and I have not yet mastered how to raise them with only 2 hands. I get sad and frustrated on a daily basis. I fall back on sewing as a way to escape. But when I sew for my Children I am not just doing their laundry, washing their dishes, or picking up their toys, I am creating something for them that is a lasting reminder of how much I really do love them.

I encourage you to make something for a child in your life. Why not start with these cute owl pillows? I am so glad I snapped a couple quick pictures before I gave them to the kids. Soon after I let them have their owls they took them outside and now they are very loved and very dirty. Awesome FREE pattern and tutorial for Owl Pillow HERE!

The kids "helping" me stuff their owl pillows :)

21 comments:

  1. These are adorable, & Nancy, your blog is SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight, I was looking for this Owl Pillow Pattern. Your owls are so cute. Thank you for the link.
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing this. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm glad I found this today. My 4 handfuls (3 yr old potty training triplets, and a 1 yr) caused me to miss every possible moment of church today. Sometimes I start to feel a little spiritually starved, and I need a little reminder about how much spirit they are in themselves! I don't get much sleep, my house is always a mess, but I still find time to sew for my kids. I don't always know why, and I definitely can't explain it to someone else. This post helped even me see why I enjoy it so much! (well that it I do find crafting a wonderfully relaxing outlet)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm only thirteen but I love to sew and make things. I wanted to make a microwavable own snuggle hottie but I think I will Make an awl teddy bear instead! My mom sews and makes me dresses, I'm really proud of her too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful that you are learning so young! I learned to sew at 16 and never stopped :) I have a link to a pillowcase tutorial on my blog that would be really good for a beginner to try also. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya! I'm in Year Seven, and am learning how to sew, but first we have to make a cushion, I have been searching for a while, and these look great! Thankyou! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your owl pillows are so cute. I've been looking for hours where I can order Pre cut owl patterns? Is that what you did? Or did you make your own? Do you happen to know where I can look for the one's you just sew together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your owl pillows are adorable! Thank you for sharing the pattern! Mine turned out adorable too (and just in time for Christmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, could I just ask if you copied the pattern and put the strip of fabric around the edge or did you just stitch a back and a front together. I think they are fabulous and can't wait to have a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stitched the front and back together. They turned out just fine that way and saved me a step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are cuter without the strip. I'm prepping to make one for my little guy and plan to sew it without the strip too.

      Delete
    2. i found this pattern the other week and planned to make one with out the stripe now ive seen yours i know what it looks like and definatly will be doing it the same way i planned thank you

      Delete
  12. Where can I buy the material for this on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Owl Pillow is really cute . I've been looking for a pattern but can't find one . I've got some little grandchildren that would really like some of those pillows. could you tell me where to find the patterns thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Very Nice your Blog and Keep Update for more information about .Kids Pillow

    ReplyDelete
  15. "My Cotton Creations" has enchanted us with the delightful Owl Pillow Pattern for children. Your sewing skills and attention to detail are truly impressive, bringing smiles to both children and crafty enthusiasts.
    https://promocodehq.com/zeus-network-promo-code

    ReplyDelete