Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Vintage, Baby!



Here are a few pictures of my newest quilt! It's for Pine Needles and will be headed there for display tomorrow.



I love the way it turned out. The raw edges are so cute and cozy! But let me tell you something, this was not the super easy, quick quilt I anticipated. When I opened the pattern and read "using your ruler and a washable marking pen, draw a 3 inch grid over your entire background fabric" I really wanted to throw the whole thing in a drawer and forget it! After drawing your grid you then line up all those little squares and use a fabric glue stick to glue them down. Then you start to quilt. I've decided that though I like the way it looks, I am not a fan of straight line quilting. I persevered though, and in the end... well, it's cute. Let's just leave it at that.



The upside to this quilt is that at Pine Needles you can buy a kit with all those little squares already cut out for you (I should know, I've been working on cuting out those squares to go in the kits for weeks!) They are cut out with a die cut machine so you get that sweet scaloped edge on all your squares!

I once had a quilter ask me if I would rather use a batting in my quilts that didn't shrink up when washed and give my quilts that wrinkled look. Oh, for shame! I absolutely adore that wrinkled, vintage, cozy look on all my quilts. As soon as I finish a quilt it goes straight in the wash. This quilt goes perfect with that look. In fact, the name of the pattern is Vintage Baby. Though I complain about the work involved with this quilt, the pattern was very well written and easy to follow. And as with everything else vintage or baby in my house, I love it!

2 comments:

  1. That is so pretty. How many squares are there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this material what is the brand? Reply to Justmebeingwifeandmom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete