Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strawberries


I've noticed a trend in fabric lately that I can't get enough of... Strawberries. I love strawberries! I mean, absolutly crave them, always have, according to my mom and dad. I grew up in Southern California and remember often passing fields like this one around my home...



I don't know if it is because I am much larger than I used to be, but I distinctly remember strawberries being much bigger than they are now. I actually think it is due to my parents stopping at the little stands next to the fields and picking up the freshest, reddest, and largest strawberries California had to offer.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of strawberry prints in fabric. I, of course, have to buy up every bit I see! This new line from Fig Tree is the perfect example. So yummy, so pretty, I'm afraid to open my jelly roll!


Click here to check it out in more detail. Prepare to fall in love though!





You may remember seeing this quilt before. It didn't sell, which I am now grateful for, because it hangs in my sewing room. The little dress I made for C, and though it's not out of strawberry fabric, I think she looks like a little strawberry in it. It doesn't fit her anymore, but I love to have it hanging up where I can still see it.



I found this strawberry pin cusion on Heather Baileys blog. It's an older picture, not sure if she still has patterns, but it looked too sweet not to share with you.



And lastly, my favorite stawberry recipe comes from my mother in law. She is a fantastic cook and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing her Famous French Strawberry Pie recipe. I could seriously eat a whole pie myself!



French Strawberry Pie

2 baked pie shells or graham cracker crusts
6 oz. cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped stiff
2 pounds strawberries, cleaned, hulled and cut up
1 box danish dessert (found in the jello aisle)

Wash, clean, hull and cut up the strawberries. Prepare the danish dessert as directed on the back of the box for pie glaze and set aside to cool. Cream the cream cheese and then add the powdered sugar, cream together. Add vanilla and mix thoroughly. Carefully fold in the whipped cream. Pour the mixture in the two pie shells and spread evenly all around. Top with strawberries and then top with the danish dessert. Cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment