Sunday, December 4, 2011

PJ pants for adults...


First off I want to say thank you for all the love I've been getting on my Christmas Pajama Pants Tutorial! It's been great reading all the comments and knowing I helped make everyones Christmas a little more homemade.

I've gotten a lot of questions about making adult sized pajama pants. I did make myself a pair once but honestly they didn't last long. I hesitate making them for me because a womens body has a lot more curves than a childs, and those curves are hard to work around. I consider myself a fairly medium sized person, but I have had 3 kids so the backside isn't as "toned" as it used to be :)

The basic idea for the adult size is you'll want to get enough fabric inches for the length of your leg, twice. I measured a pair of my most comfortable yoga pants and for me this is just over 2 yards. My yoga pants at their widest point are about 23", add a seam allowance and 44" wide fabric is just short of what I needed to get 2 legs out of one width of fabric. Since the legs of my yoga pants measured 36 inches long (and they are a bit long on me, but I like it that way) I bought that, twice. *Don't forget to add a seam allowance for the top and bottom, so to be safe I'd add about 4 or 5 inches to each leg. * Now, I think it best, because we all have wonderful curves to be proud of, you make adult women sized pants out of something with a bit of strech. That was the problem I had when I made a pair of pants for me and they eventually ripped along the seams.

I hope that answers some questions. The construction of the pants are the same for adults and I think if you used jersy knit or even fleece you'd have a more comfortable pair of pants that would fit a women better. If you just have to have those beautiful cotton fabrics though (that would be me) just make them roomy enough in the seat and they should work out, especailly if you reinforce your stitches along the crotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment